Bread was generally a staple food made primarily from flour and a leavening agent, such as yeast. It was often shaped into loaves or buns before baking. The outer layer of bread was called crust. (DS9: "For the Cause")
Bread cooked in a toaster, or created thusly in a replicator, was known as toast. In 2152, Jonathan Archer offered T'Pol toast when she visited him in his ready room, but she declined. (ENT: "The Seventh")
Some types of bread and bread-related foods are:
- Bread pudding soufflé, a type of dessert made on Earth.
- Gelm bread, a type of bread made on Gaia.
- greenbread, a Yaderan type of bread from a story about the Ghergher beast.
- Mapa bread, a Bajoran food.
- Makapa bread, a breakfast food tried by Jake Sisko.
- Baguette, a French variant featured in the Sainte Claire holoprogram.