(written from a Production point of view)
Returning from Khitomer, Kirk remembers his perilous first journey into space on a vessel named Enterprise, at the age of 16.
- From the book jacket
- As James T. Kirk prepares to retire from a long and illustrious Starfleet career, events in a distant part of the Federation draw him back to a part of the galaxy he had last visited as a young man – a mysterious world called Faramond whose name takes Kirk on a journey back to his youth.
- At sixteen, Kirk is troubled, estranged from his father and has a bleak future. However, a trip into space with Kirk's father George and Starfleet legend Captain Robert April changes James' life forever, when a simple voyage aboard the USS Enterprise becomes a deadly trap. Soon, Kirk and father find themselves fighting a vicious and powerful enemy.
- Before the voyage ends, father and son will face life and death together, and James T. Kirk will get a glimpse of the future and his own best destiny.
"How would it look to the young if we botched our final duty?"
- - James T. Kirk, to Spock and McCoy in 2293
"Kodos the Executioner... they, um, never found him, did they?"
"No, I'd like to find the bastard – what he put my family through and me through..."
- - Robert April and George Kirk discussing the massacre on Tarsus IV
"It stinks in here."
- - A sixteen year-old James T. Kirk upon stepping on the USS Enterprise's bridge for the first time
"Quit lipping off and get... up... here."
- - George Kirk, to his son Jim
"I ought to slingshot around the sun, go back forty-five years and slap myself."
- - Kirk in 2293, recalling his bad behavior as a youth
Background information Edit
- This story is a sequel to Carey's previous George Kirk/Robert April novel Final Frontier.
- The framing story is completely removed from the Audiobook adaptation by the author, leaving only the story of young James Kirk and George Kirk/Robert April.
- The first page of the book gives the only known, albeit non-canon meaning of the starship registry prefix "NCC", classifying it as meaning "Naval Construction Contract".
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Probe|| Pocket TOS|
|Shadows on the Sun|