The Axanar language is spoken by the Axanar species. Like the languages of many humanoid species, the language contains consonant and vowel sounds like those found in Human languages. Enterprise NX-01 communications officer Hoshi Sato had to learn the language quite quickly in order to clear up a misunderstanding with an Axanar captain, in order to prevent him or an alien vessel from destroying Enterprise. (ENT: "Fight or Flight")
Established words Edit
- Dukta-mutoor: ship
- Kunatsila: distress
- Dukta-mutoor kunatsila - (The) ship (is in) distress
What was heard from the log Edit
"Iktuur suktaka, testa tono ista bhur. Owawala kuunat. Iste katsi kolo. Madringu du-stempru. – Kana la staka owawala, Utamilasa testa tono ista bhur. Usha vitar. Itar minuva. Tatal derikuu. – Varoshan. Silah min priku kalani..."
What the Axanar captain said before Hoshi Sato started talking Edit
- "Atad dvii oora!" (Archer says something, not to him)
- "Mii alo owaba! Minas! Ooran tua calla!" (Sato sends a message to tell him they sent the message)
- "Loor rah tee! Ahtara noss rohnay!" (Likely: "But the message came from our ship, not yours")
- "Mii toras amayar tee!" (This phrase concerns DNA scans. It was said, in a skeptical and accusatory way, by the Axanar captain while questioning Enterprise why they were present two days earlier.)
- "Atah hoss moor at!" (A phrase expressed angrily by the Axanar captain)
- "Loorah! Atah hoss!" (Said in frustration by the Axanar captain, struggling to understand text from Enterprise's universal translator)
A conversation between Hoshi Sato and the Axanar captain Edit
Sato: "Ataa duii oora."
Axanar: "Ataa iis? Minas alo."
Sato: "Aata loora iis da! Oorehm miista voor!"
Axanar: "Eetova vohmala?"
Sato: "Iis da! Tuo, tuo ama tooras da! Veetal, veetal noss ohmeen! Oorah, ootah doee oorah!"
Sato: "Latoora de..."
Axanar: "Emos owaba."
Background information Edit
Deduced phonology Edit
- Unvoiced: P, T, K, ' (glottal stop as in uh-oh)
- Voiced: D
- Unvoiced: S, SH, H
- Voiced: BH (V with both lips, span. haber), V
- Voiced: M, N, NG (As in sing, never as in finger)
- L (as in fellow), RL (as in ball)
- A, E, I, O, U as in Italian or Spanish.
- AU = ow in now, IE = ee-eh, AI = eye, OU = ow in low