(written from a Production point of view)
Andy Mangels (born 2 December 1966; age 49) is a writer of many Star Trek novels, in collaboration with Michael A. Martin. Although some of his novels feature the recurring homosexual character of Ranul Keru (ex-lover of Star Trek: First Contact's Lt. Hawk), contrary to some claims, he is not the first Trek writer to place a homosexual character in a novel (see The Best and the Brightest by Susan Wright for a minor character, and the Star Trek: SCE series of eBooks). Keru is the first significantly-featured homosexual character in paper novels, however, and Mangels (an openly gay man) and Martin have consistently featured characters of a diverse sexuality, as well as diverse ethnicities, religious backgrounds, and physical abilities, in all of their works.
Writing credits Edit
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #10: "Lwaxana Troi and the Wedding of Doom"
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #11: "Four Funerals and a Wedding"
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #12: "Command Decisions"
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #13: "Day of Honor"
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #14: "Nobody Knows the Tribbles I've Seen"
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #15: "Requiem in Obsidian"
- Star Trek Unlimited #10: "A Piece of Reaction"
- Star Trek: Section 31: Rogue
- Mission Gamma #3: Cathedral
- Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers#30: Ishtar Rising, Book 1
- Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers#31: Ishtar Rising, Book 2
- The Lost Era #1: The Sundered
- Prophecy and Change ("The Orb of Opportunity")
- Tales of the Dominion War ("Requital")
- Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Volume 2
- Star Trek: Titan #1: Taking Wing
- Star Trek: Titan #2: The Red King
- Tales from the Captain's Table ("Improvisations on the Opal Sea: A Tale of Dubious Credibility")
- Last Full Measure
- The Good That Men Do
- Forged in Fire
- Kobayashi Maru
- Reference works
- Creating the Filmation Generation - 2012, Co-author