- After a mild outbreak of choriocytosis aboard Enterprise, the only seriously ill crewmember, Spock, is saved from near death by a shipment of strobolin which was briefly stolen by Orions. (TAS: "The Pirates of Orion")
- Orion neutrality comes to an end after an act of piracy. After the freighter USS Huron is attacked and looted, the starship USS Enterprise captures the Orion vessel responsible. (TAS: "The Pirates of Orion")
- In the beginning of this year, James T. Kirk's five-year mission ends. (VOY: "Q2")
- Kirk is promoted to Admiral and becomes Chief of Starfleet Operations. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
- Spock retires from Starfleet and returns to Vulcan to undergo kolinahr. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
- Leonard McCoy also retires from Starfleet and starts a private medical practice on Earth. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
- Willard Decker is promoted to captain of the USS Enterprise. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
- Felisa Howard is born. (TNG: "Sub Rosa")
- The first TOS missions of Star Trek: Legacy take place in this year, since Kirk notes in his Captain's Log that it has been two years since the events of "The Enterprise Incident" which took place in 2268.
- The events of the Star Trek novel Lost Years occur in this year.
- According to the script for the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Blood Oath", The Albino may have been born around this year.