- The United Federation of Planets is officially formed (treaties signed and ratified) in San Francisco by representatives from Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, and Tellar. (TNG: "The Outcast"; ENT: "Zero Hour", "These Are the Voyages..."; VOY: "Homestead")
- Starfleet Academy is established. (TNG: "The First Duty"; DS9: "Paradise Lost")
- The M.A.C.O.s are disbanded and its personnel absorbed into the ranks of Starfleet. They are given ranks in Starfleet equal to their former M.A.C.O. rank. One of these officers is Major Balthazar Edison who is given the rank of captain and is given command of the USS Franklin NCC-326. (Star Trek Beyond)
- Charles Tucker III dies. (ENT: "These Are the Voyages...")
- Enterprise NX-01 is retired from service. (ENT: "These Are the Voyages...")
- Ronald D. Moore commented that he felt that the Federation Starfleet Charter incorporates military, exploratory, and scientific missions. (AOL chat, 1997) We may assume that the original United Earth Starfleet changed or expanded this year, too, in order to become the new Federation Starfleet. As hinted in numerous non-canon sources it was merged with MACO, the Andorian Imperial Guard, and the respective Vulcan and Tellarite entities for that purpose.